1. These terms will have these meanings in this policy:
a) “Individuals” – All Basketball Nova Scotia (BNS) Members and affiliates as defined in the Basketball Nova Scotia Bylaws, and all individuals employed (including contract personnel) by or engaged in activities with Basketball Nova Scotia, including but not limited to, directors, committee members, athletes, coaches, officials, referees, volunteers, officers, managers and administrators.
b) “Confidential Information” – The term includes, but is not limited to the following:
· Personal information of Basketball Nova Scotia participants, members and Individuals, including but not limited to: name, address, e-mail, telephone number, cell phone number, date of birth, financial information, medical history, etc.
· Basketball Nova Scotia intellectual property and proprietary information related to the programs, fundraisers, business or affairs of Basketball Nova Scotia and any of its divisions, including, but not limited to: procedures, business methods, forms, policies, business, marketing and development plans, advertising programs, creative materials, trade secrets, knowledge, techniques, data, products, technology, computer programs, manuals, software, financial information and information that is not generally or publicly known.
2. The purpose of this policy is to ensure the protection of Confidential Information that is proprietary to Basketball Nova Scotia. As well as making sure all Individuals are aware that there is an expectation to act at all times appropriately and consistently with this policy.
Application of this Policy
3. This policy applies to all Individuals as defined above.
4. Individuals will not, either during the period of their involvement and or employment or any time thereafter, disclose to any person or organization any Confidential Information acquired during their period of involvement and or employment with BNS, unless expressly authorized to do so.
5. Individuals will not publish, communicate, divulge or disclose to any unauthorized person, firm, corporation, third party or parties any Confidential Information or any part thereof, without the express written consent of BNS, which, subject to any requirement under legislation, may be withheld for any reason.
6. All files and written materials relating to Confidential Information will remain the property of BNS and upon termination of involvement and or employment with BNS or upon the request of BNS, the BNS Representative will return all Confidential Information received in written or tangible form, including copies, or reproductions or other media containing such Confidential Information, immediately upon such request.
7. Confidential Information does not include the following: name, title, business address, work telephone number, or any other information widely available or posted publicly.
8. Individuals voluntarily publishing, or consenting to the publication of, basic personal information in a public forum (such as the listing of an email address on a website) forfeit the expectation of confidentiality for that personal information for as long as it is available publicly.
9 Copyright and any other intellectual property rights in all written material (including material in electronic format) and other works produced in connection with employment or involvement with BNS will be owned solely by BNS, who will have the right to use, reproduce or distribute such material and works, or any part thereof, for any purpose it wishes. BNS may grant permission for others to use such written material or other works, subject to such terms and conditions as BNS may prescribe.
10. A breach of any provision in this policy may give rise to discipline in accordance with the Basketball Nova Scotia Discipline and Complaints policy or other legal recourse.
This Policy was last reviewed and approved June 17, 2020.
Click the image above to for downloadable PDF.