Frank Baldwin Award
Affectionately known as “Mr. Basketball,” Frank Baldwin was the Executive Director of Basketball Nova Scotia from 1972 until 1986. Some of his many accomplishments were leading Queen Elizabeth High School to the 1950 Canadian Juvenile Championships. He is an inductee of the Saint Mary’s Sports Hall of Fame, where he founded and coached their basketball team from 1952-1962. Frank was also inducted as a Builder into the Canadian Basketball Hall of Fame in 1979 and Nova Scotia Sport Hall of Fame in 1983.
Frank passed his knowledge, candy, and love of the game along to many players and coaches throughout the province and was a tremendous ambassador for Nova Scotia basketball, nationally.
2021 Frank Baldwin Award
To annually give formal recognition to a significant Builder of the game of Basketball in Nova Scotia.
This prestigious award is in recognition of an individual(s), who like Frank, has made a significant long-term contribution to the development of the sport of basketball in Nova Scotia. Preference towards a person who has been involved in developing Nova Scotia Minor and/or Provincial team programs at some point in time.
*Note: more than one, but no more than three individuals may receive the award, if agreed to by the Board.
- CALL FOR NOMINATIONS OPEN – Monday May 17, 2021
- Deadline for nominations: 4:30 p.m. on Friday, June 11, 2021.
- BNS Award Selection Committee will review submissions and present a list of winners to the BNS Board of Directors.
- Board members will vote to determine award recipient(s), award winners will be notified by BNS.
- Nominations will remain in place and be automatically reconsidered for the next two years.
- Award will be announced on social media to successful candidate(s) in July of 2021. Award recipient(s) information will also be sent out via the media.
How to Nominate
- Provide a summary (no more than two pages) to support your submission of the nomination. Attach as much additional information as possible to outline the Nominee’s background and achievements and/or contribution along with dates. (Please ensure nominee’s name is placed at the top of each page).
- All nominations must be submitted by the deadline above by BNS to be eligible for the award. All applications will receive acknowledgment of receipt.
- Send nominations to email@example.com
Include “Frank Baldwin Award Nomination” in your subject heading.
- Individual(s) name will be placed on the permanent plaque that is kept on display at the Nova Scotia Sports Hall of Fame.
- An engraved plaque with Individual’s name, Frank Baldwin Award recipient and Year
- Letter from the president of Basketball Nova Scotia
- Gift from Basketball Nova Scotia.
2021 Nominations Committee
|Katherine Brien||Executive Director, Basketball Nova Scotia|
|Donnie Ehler||Past ED, Basketball Nova Scotia, Community Coach, Cole Harbour Rockets|
|Colter Simmonds||2019 Winner, Frank Baldwin Award, Community Coach|
Curtis Coward, Mike MacKay & Mike Brien
2020 Halifax, NS (August 10th, 2020) – Basketball may not be the same right now, but we can’t wait to get back on the court….Read more
Maria Fraser, Keith Andrews & Colter Simmonds
2019 Halifax, NS (July 3, 2019) – Basketball Nova Scotia is excited to announce the Frank Baldwin Award Winners at the 2019 Eastlink Classic Basketball tournament….Read more
Bev Greenlaw & Rick Plato
2018 Rick Plato: Two-time AUS Coach of the Year, Rick Plato has just completed his fifth season with the Tigers. In his first four seasons,…Read more
Wade Smith, Jack Murphy, Mike Kennedy, Chuck Smith, Mark Parker, Eric Dolliver, David Harris
Renda and Casey VanderToorn, Tim Kendrick & Ed McHugh
Lowell Cormier & Jim Gannon
Kent Balish & Bob Nauss
Stay up to date: