2021 Spring League
Our Nova Scotia
To host positive and meaningful competition for spring basketball programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Our team has worked hard to plan and execute the backend administrative work for our first ever province-wide basketball league. We are thrilled with this opportunity and are hopeful that we will be able to play some sort of basketball this spring/summer, as long as our public health measures allow.
This area on our website will be updated each time there is Nova Scotia COVID-19 update from Premier Rankin and our Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Strang related to guidelines around sport competition and training in the province.
June 1, 2021
As of today’s scheduled June 1st update, we remain in a holding pattern regarding the rescheduling of the inaugural Spring League to coincide with the newly outlined phases of reopening set forth by the Province. We have not had any advanced notice to this point of what regulations would be surrounding sport nor any timelines, and as such were not able to begin the discussion of rescheduling with any concrete knowledge.
As of tomorrow, June 2nd, 2021, we enter Phase 1 of the Province’s reopening plan, with each of the five stages set to last 2-4 weeks depending on COVID case counts and other health and safety considerations. As of this stage, we are currently unable to hold basketball competition until we have entered a Phase in which such competition is deemed safe.
At this time, the Provincial Government forecasts that we will return to opening Phase 4, which would allow for sport competition, by mid-July. For this, we must determine where games will be held, and how many can be played in this shorter timespan. Our Spring League Committee will reconvene on June 15th to discuss these factors before coming to a final decision.
This has been a long and difficult process, and we once again wish to express our gratitude to you all for your patience and understanding. We look forward to working with you once again to grow the game across Nova Scotia and provide kids with the opportunity to engage in meaningful basketball competition for their enjoyment and development.
We look forward to returning to the court soon.
May 3, 2021
Below is our May update as it pertains to the 2021 Basketball Nova Scotia Spring League. While we were hopeful we might be able to pull out of this outbreak, the numbers over the weekend and recent updates have proven otherwise. Our first priority is safety and with that said, we’re not unable to commit to a revised schedule at this time.
To date, we have re-scheduled our May 15-16 weekend games and those new dates can be found under each of the appropriate division link under our Spring League heading. Understanding the current state of our province, these dates are highly unlikely. This is taking into account the need for teams to be able to get back on court in advance of a first weekend of game play. Therefore, all schedules are tentative at this time and you will all receive a confirmation at least 2 weeks before any re-scheduled games.
If there are no changes to public health measures by June 1, 2021 our league committee will provide a further update.
We will continue to consider rescheduled dates up until the end of July, at which point any unplayed games will be refunded.
Are you looking at options that would reduce the travel schedule?
Yes, we have options in our back pocket that we’re exploring that could include less travel for all teams. While this hasn’t been totally flushed out, please know that we will do our best to make decisions that make our teams comfortable to participate in game play, when it is allowed.
What is the refund policy as games are re-schedule and or cancelled?
We have divided the total league fee of $1,100 into the 9 games that were promised, which gives us $122. Teams will be refunded at this rate for each game not played, due to COVID-19. Refunds will have to be issued by cheque to all teams and would take 3-4 weeks from the confirmed cancellation to get into the hands of the club president.
Some of the game dates have already been changed from the original, are those finalized?
No, those dates are not set in stone. Those were options we had explored pending the May 20th open date. While this does not look reasonable at this point, they are our current holding dates for the time being. We understand the need to ensure teams have adequate time to get back on court and practice before we start game play. Therefore, these dates will most likely be pushed based on our current restrictions.
When will the next update be provided?
Pending the current restrictions stay as are, our league committee will commit to providing a revamped update on June 1, 2021, which will include our next steps. Those steps could include a longer season, removing a weekend or a couple of games, or cancelling the program all together. This decision will be dependant on the current COVID-19 restrictions.
What if our team is not comfortable travelling once things do open up?
There is no obligation to stay in our Spring League and we want to ensure that all athletes, coaches and families are comfortable and safe to participate. If your group decides this does not work for you, we will give you a 100% refund, if no games have been played or $122 per game that has not been played.
For updates on Spring League: